Building Regulations


Unless your home extension is a porch, conservatory or a detached garage constructed at ground level, taking up less than 30 square metres of floor space, it will be necessary to ensure that everything complies with the Government's Building Regulations.


Building regulations set the minimum standards for the design and construction of buildings (including extensions) to ensure that they comply with the current health and safety regulations. They are also certain requirements in connection with fuel and power conservation.


We shall ensure that your home extension meets all the Building Regulations that may apply to the work we've undertaken, and in making sure that any inspections required are completed and that our work meets the construction and performance standards set by the regulations.


Building Regulations - How to Comply


You or your architect must submit full and detailed plans of your proposed home extension, together with the appropriate application form and fee, to your Local Planning Authority in order to achieve compliance with Building Regulations.


Building control surveyors will then examine your plans to ensure that they comply with current Building Regulations, and if they do, will approve your home extension. We are required to notify the council when work on the building of your home extension commences and at various stages of building your home extension so that inspections can be made to ensure that the laying of the foundations, damp proofing and drainage is carried out to standard. A final inspection will be made upon completion of your home extension, and a certificate of completion issued to you providing everything conforms.




In some cases, you will be able to apply to the local authority for a relaxation to, or dispensation from a certain regulation if you believe that it is inapplicable to your extension. Your application must be made within 28 days of notification of failure to comply with Building Regulations and, if they refuse your applications, you have the right to appeal to the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.